Saturday, April 5, 2014

Jeremiah 9 - A Law Worth Crying For

WOW! I am REALLY liking the book of Jeremiah! I was reading chapter 9 earlier this week and it was AMAZING. 

Verse 3 says "They are not valiant for the truth on the earth.
For they proceed from evil to evil,
And they do not know Me,” says the Lord." WOW! Again, we should have a hunger, love, passion and desire for the truth.



In verses 12-21 a perfect picture is painted. We are to follow God's law; and to not to follow it should bring us to tears. Jeremiah truly is the "crying prophet".  God is perfect, omnipotent-He ALONE has the perfect law and that is in His word.  What we think about what is fair, what is wrong, what is right does not matter. We should look to sola scriptura. In this day and age many do not recognise this. 






12 Who is the wise man who may understand this? And who is he to whom the mouth of the Lord has spoken, that he may declare it? Why does the land perish and burn up like a wilderness, so that no one can pass through?

(note, We should be the wise man. Truly, sin will bring desolation.)

13 And the Lord said, “Because they have forsaken My law which I set before them, and have not obeyed My voice, nor walked according to it, 
(note, This is all to common in a day when independence is prized; but let us follow Him, He is truth.)

14 but they have walked according to the dictates of their own hearts and after the Baals, which their fathers taught them,”
(note, we are worldly, sinful people and deserve nothing but the worst. Our hearts lead us astray-but lets conquer them!  We can learn from previous generations; but that does not mean that EVERYTHING is right-they do wrong to and that is part of what we learn from.  We should look to God and scripture alone-if meer people say otherwise, only stick to what the Bible says.)


15 therefore thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: “Behold, I will feed them, this people, with wormwood, and give them water of gall to drink. 16 I will scatter them also among the Gentiles, whom neither they nor their fathers have known. And I will send a sword after them until I have consumed them.”
(note, when we follow our sinful desires we become like the world and will soon become part of the world.  We can be completely consumed in our sin. However, we also have the ability to be completely consumed in God, and His word. Is that not a better option?)

The People Mourn in Judgment

17 Thus says the Lord of hosts:

“Consider and call for the mourning women,
That they may come;
And send for skillful wailing women,
That they may come.

(note, sinning against God and not obeying His law is truly something worth crying over.)

18 Let them make haste
And take up a wailing for us,
That our eyes may run with tears,
And our eyelids gush with water.

(Wow, this paints a perfect picture of the seriousness of sin.)

19 For a voice of wailing is heard from Zion:
‘How we are plundered!
We are greatly ashamed,
Because we have forsaken the land,
Because we have been cast out of our dwellings.’”

(note, We should be truly ashamed. Our sin will cast us out of our dwellings. What kind of dwelling would this be? Think about it.)


20 Yet hear the word of the Lord, O women,
And let your ear receive the word of His mouth;

(note, let us pay attention to the very inspired word of our Lord's mouth!)

Teach your daughters wailing,
And everyone her neighbor a lamentation.

(note, we are so in sin; all we should do is cry and wail. -might as well teach our children in; it is all they will see.)

21 For death has come through our windows,
Has entered our palaces,
To kill off the children— no longer to be outside!
And the young men— no longer on the streets!

(note, don't let sin overcome you; it WILL consume you. We need to set an example of future generations.)





This is not the whole chapter; but the parts that especially stood out to me.  Please remember that my "notes" are merely what I thought about when I read it; I do not believe that it is necessarily what God specifically meant when He said those words.  It is not a "modernised version" of what was previously stated; again, ONLY what I thought when I read it. Please let me know if you think there is something I should add. -or if you think I made a biblical mistake in one of my notes. Thank you!  I want to make sure I only write the TRUTH.

-and please comment; its what keeps me going! Why write to produce good, if no one will read it and therefore it will not produce good?

No comments:

Post a Comment