Friday, March 13, 2015

No Zeal In The Reformed?

I would agree that in the Reformed spheres, there is certainly a need for more spiritual zeal. HOWEVER, it IS there. Here are some quotes from some of the most prominent Reformers to prove it:



 Charles Spurgeon- You do not know the beginning of true zeal, for the foundation of Christian zeal lies in the heart. The heart must be heavy with grief and yet must beat high with holy ardour. The heart must be vehement in desire, panting continually for God’s glory, or else we shall never attain to anything like the zeal which God would have us know.

Charles Spurgeon- “If you want that splendid power in prayer, you must remain in loving, living, lasting, conscious, practical, abiding union with the Lord Jesus Christ.”



Jonathan Edwards- “The happiness of the creature consists of rejoicing in God, by which also God is magnified and exalted.”


Jonathan Edwards- “To go to heaven, fully to enjoy God, is infinitely better than the most pleasant accommodations here.”



John Calvin - “There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice.”

John Calvin- “The gospel is not a doctrine of the tongue, but of life. It cannot be grasped by reason and memory only, but it is fully understood when it possesses the whole soul and penetrates to the inner recesses of the heart.” 




R.C. Sproul- “I was new Christian. My conversation had been sudden and dramatic, a replica for me of the Damascus Road. My life had been turned upside down,, and I was filled with zeal for the sweetness of Christ. I was consumed with a new passion. To study the Scripture. To learn how to pray. To conquer the vices that assaulted my character. To grow in grace. I wanted desperately to make my life count for Christ. My soul was singing, "Lord, I want to be a Christian.”




John Piper- “But to enjoy him we must know him. Seeing is savoring. If he remains a blurry, vague fog, we may be intrigued for a season. But we will not be stunned with joy, as when the fog clears and you find yourself on the brink of some vast precipice.”


John Piper- “Minimizing the importance of transformed feelings makes Christian conversion less supernatural and less radical. It is humanly manageable to make decisions of the will for Christ. No supernatural power is required to pray prayers, sign cards, walk aisles, or even stop sleeping around. Those are good. They just don’t prove that anything spiritual has happened. Christian conversion, on the other hand, is a supernatural, radical thing. The heart is changed. And the evidence of it is not just new decisions, but new affections, new feelings.” 

5 comments:

  1. True! While it is a problem, not all Calvinists/reformed are affected by it. Hopefully, some within our generation (us included) of not being just intellectual Calvinists, but heart-felt, Biblical, Jesus loving, gospel spreading, loving, zealous Calvinists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I guess I'm tired tonight. I did not word that very well! I meant that some of us will hopefully be not just intellectual Calvinists, but also....

      Looks like I need to go to bed!

      Delete
    2. Lol, ya, I start talking a bit weird(not to mention thinking a bit weird) when I start getting sleepy too. Yep, we definitely need more John Pipers and Jonathan Edwards out there! :D

      Delete
  2. I think if anyone takes a moment to listen to Piper or Sproul preach, it would be hard for them to proclaim that reformers lack zeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! And yet so many Reformed Christians do lack zeal. :(

      Delete